lördag 17 november 2012

Big Fish


Title: Big Fish
Playtime: 125 min
Genre: Adventure Drama Fantasy
Year: 2003

During my search for a new movie, I happened to stumble upon the title "Big Fish". I had never heard of this film before, and I did not know whether it would be great or incredibly bad. I knew nothing about it. After watching a trailer, I was intrigued since it seemed to be something more than your average drama. Before I knew it, I was caught by this heartwarming and funny story.

Big Fish is basically the story of many other stories, told by one man with a great imagination. This man, Ed Bloom has a son, which is told all kinds of amazing stories about his fathers adventures as a young man. All these stories seem wonderful and exciting to the son when he's a kid, but he grows bored of them over the years. His father tells them any chance he gets, but his son, Will Bloom is sick and tired of them, since he figures it's only fictional stories.
-So... what's so special about the stories?
Excellent question, I'll get to that. The story jumps back and fourth between Ed Blooms adventures as a youth, and "real life" where his son is destined to find out how his father really lived. The amusing part of the film, the tall tales, is filled with fantasy-contents such as giants, werewolves, witches and other supernatural things.
It's truly an inspirational and wonderful life-story in the style of "Forrest Gump", only it's tainted with imagination. But the only man who's not amused by these stories, Will Blooms, confronts his father about the storytelling. He wants to know what his father really did, instead of hearing some unbelievable tall tales. So he searches for the "truth" about his fathers life and gradually learns more about his dad and his stories.
Will Bloom soon learns that the line between facts and fiction is hard to identify and we ask ourselves the question: How much of the story is fabricated?

Ewan McGregor played the role as the Ed Bloom as he was displayed in the stories, and he certainly had the charm to portray that warm-hearted and naive adventurer. It wasn't until after the movie I realized that he played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the "new" Star Wars films. A great actor indeed.

Among the smaller roles, we saw Danny Devito and Steve Buscemi, both being great actors and they both had amusing roles in this movie. Devito as the greedy, but kind Circus-manager and Buscemi as a lost poet "trapped" in the town Spectre.

This movie was much better than I thought it would be and surprised me in many ways. The creative metaphores and cleverly built up "finale" at the end made it much more than just a funny drama. If I ever could cry while watching movies, I think I'd do it during this one.

I definately recommend that you watch this film if you like dramas, and even moreso if you enjoyed Forrest Gump.

I rate this movie 8/10

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar